Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Preparing to leave


Today is the last day before I leave on a trip that will lead from Evansville, Indiana, through Oklahoma City, out to near Albuquerque, New Mexico.

The morning is peaceful, my feeling transformed by the morning yoga practice. When I first got up I felt cloudy - nebulous, unsteady and groggy. Only a few of my eyes were open.
Now there are waves of eyes open - multitudes - generations - vast processions - countless nations of eyes - civilizations.
And the morning breeze feels cool and comfortable on my skin, exceedingly gentle, alert and hopeful.

I listen with my eyes because sometimes I look but do not see.
And I watch with my nose because on the wind are many pictures.

I want to come to the new day like a classroom.
and learn the lessons of shapes and colors
partaking of patterns, knowing numbers
Although you get knocked around a lot
the lunches are good
and the sweetness of tears expands the heart
like an accordion and the drinking straw paper dropped on water.

No comments: